Our school aims are based on the belief that each child is made in the image and likeness of God. The mission statement can be seen every day across our school, where opportunities are created to allow all children to shine.
At Penny Bridge CE Academy, we are committed in recognising that all children are unique and as a community we aim to motivate, engage, inspire and celebrate our pupils’ journey, efforts and achievements. Where pupils have special educational needs or disabilities, as a school, we plan provision that encourages, support and challenges pupils to raise aspirations and to play an integral part of life across the school.
‘Every child has an opportunity to be an expert and master their uniqueness.’
- SENDCo: Mrs Jill Armstrong
- SEND LGB Member: Mrs Catherine Brady
SEND Statement of Intent
At Penny Bridge CE Academy we recognise that all pupils are entitled to a quality of provision that will enable them to achieve their potential. We believe in positive intervention, removing barriers to learning, raising expectations and levels of achievement and working in partnership with other agencies in order to provide a positive educational experience for all our pupils including those with a special educational need or disability.
Our school recognises there are particular groups of pupils whose circumstances require additional consideration by those who work with them to support their SEN.
At Penny Bridge CE Academy we ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs make the best possible progress.
There are now four broad areas of SEND, these are:
Communication and Interaction
This area of need includes children with Autism Spectrum Condition and those with Speech, Language and Communication Needs
Cognition and Learning
This includes children with Specific Learning Difficulties, Moderate Learning Difficulties, Severe Learning Difficulties and Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties
Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties
This includes any pupils who have an emotional, social or mental health need that is impacting on their ability to learn
Sensory and/or Physical Difficulties
This area includes children with hearing impairment, visual impairment, multi-sensory impairment and physical difficulties.
Penny Bridge CE Academy prides itself in being very inclusive and will endeavour to support every child regardless of their level of need. All pupils follow the National Curriculum at a level and a pace that is appropriate to their abilities. At times and when it is felt appropriate, modifications to the curriculum may be implemented.
We aim to:
- Ensure that all pupils have access to the school curriculum and all school activities.
- Help all pupils achieve to the best of their abilities, despite any difficulty or disability they may have.
- Ensure that teaching staff are aware of and sensitive to the needs of all pupils, teaching pupils in a way that is more appropriate to their needs.
- Help pupils to gain in confidence and improve their self-esteem.
- Work in partnership with parents/ carers, pupils and relevant external agencies in order to provide for children’s special educational needs and disabilities.
- Identify at the earliest opportunity, all children that need special consideration to support their needs (whether these are educational, social, physical or emotional)
- Make suitable provision for children with SEND to fully develop their abilities, interests and aptitudes and gain maximum access to the curriculum.
- Ensure that all children with SEND are fully included in all activities of the school in order to promote the highest levels of achievement.
- Promote self worth and enthusiasm by encouraging independence at all age and ability levels.